It's no longer uncommon to have a wedding or social event on a long weekend. With a few tips and ideas you can ensure your guests have a good time and don't resent you for taking away their long weekend!
1. Let your guests know 3-4 months in advance rather than the standard 2-3 months. Many people, particularly in the summer months, plan their full holidays around long weekends. You want to give them ample time to re-work their schedules.
2. Acknowledge the fact that it is a long weekend and use that as a selling feature. You may want to incorporate the holiday into your event.
3. Play up your event--make it sound exciting and make it worth missing a cottage getaway.
4. Don't take up all 3 days of the long weekend with your event--let your guests have a day to themselves.
5. Finally, accept that some guests, no matter how fabulous your event plans to be, will not be able to make it. Don't take it personally!